10 "Home"work Assignments
Here’s a list of 10 things you should teach your kids to do. These can be introduced at any age and developed as kids grow.
- Make a sandwich.
- Run the dishwasher (and fill and unload it).
- Do the laundry, including sorting and folding.
- Handle an emergency/call 911/utilize basic first-aid skills.
- Understand personal hygiene and how to accomplish it (regular bathing, deodorant, clean underwear, etc.).
- Make a courteous phone call to schedule an appointment or request help, and leave a voicemail if no one answers.
- Use public transportation. (Helpful hint: La Crosse MTU offers free rides on the first Monday each month, excluding holidays. Show them how to read a bus map and catch a route.)
- Practice outdoor safety skills, such as how to build a fire, use a map and compass (if smartphones won’t work), identify poison ivy, and follow basic water safety.
- Work with a budget/balance a checkbook. Moneywatch reports 1 in 6 adults depends on parental financial support. Teach kids the value of hard work and living within your means.
- Live a healthy lifestyle, including eating right, exercising, getting enough sleep, and managing their emotions and mental health.